What is Lsass.exe?
The Lsass.exe is the local security authority subsystem service file that is an important aspect of the Windows security policies. It deals with Authority domain authentication and active directory management files that run on the computer to ensure safety. They are designed with an LSA shell file description.
There are a lot of things that run on your computer when you use it, and most of them work in the background to make sure that they do not disrupt your work. So, since most of these files run on the background, it is pretty evident that most of you would not be aware when the error message pops up with the name of such files.
In this article, there will be a detailed analysis of the Lsass.exe utilities service file, and you will understand whether it is a possible threat or not to your system. These kind of files are pretty much the most critical files that form the base of the security patch network, and there must be definite protocols that need to be rendered to make sure that there is no lsass.exe system error these files are present in the authority sub-system to make sure every process is carried out smoothly and effectively.
This article is a part of our Windows explanatory series which explains different process found in Windows like hiberfil.sys, Vulkan Run Time Libraries, svchost.exe and rundll32 and many more.
What is Lsass.exe?
|Description:||A file that take care of system updates|
|Is it a virus:||No, but can be disguised as one|
|Can be deleted:||Yes. But, it is recommended not to delete Lsass.exe|
When it comes to dealing with the lsass.exe, you need to understand that it is one of the most important files that will take care of the security policies of your windows operating system. These files will make sure that the system is done with proper and efficient security policies to make sure that there is no malware entering into your personal computer. They also have an added advantage of maintaining directory files that will make sure that they run smoothly in the background and regulate the processes.
The lsass.exe file is designed with a base of the LSA shell file description, making them one of the most fundamental component files to make sure that the security policies of the windows operating system are updated regularly.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Free Driver Updater Software For Windows
LSASS handles 3 primary authentication services in Windows: EFS (Encryption file system), Keylso (CNG Key Isolation), SamSs (Security Accounts Management)
1. EFS (Encrypting File System) — The Encrypting file system is the type of system that helps in providing core file encryption technology that is used to store the encrypted file on the NTFS file system. If the service is disabled, the application cannot access the encrypted files stored.
2. KeyIso (CNG Key Isolation) — The LSA process usually is a host to many services and the CNG key isolation is one of them. The CNG key isolation make sure to implement key process isolation to the private keys and all the related cryptographic operations as prompted in the common criteria. The service makes sure that all the private keys are placed in a secure location complying to the standard requirements of the Common criteria.
3. SamSs (Security Accounts Manager) — The start of this service initiates a signal to all other available service stating that the Security Accounts Manager is ready to accept signal requests. They are a very important feature when it comes to alerting other services and if it is disabled, it will lead to the failure of other systems being notified that the SAM is ready to accept signals. This will in turn lead those service to fail to start correctly.
Is it a virus?
Now, this is the most common question that is asked when it comes to service files like Lsass.exe. It is not a virus and is one of the most important files that will help you in maintaining security with all your operations in your windows based operating system. Lsass.exe utility service is a local security authority process that will take care of all the operations to happen in a controlled and secured atmosphere.
Now the problem with Lsass.exe is that it is not a virus file, but can be disguised with a virus file and that means it can be hidden as a threat (Difference between virus and threats) and cannot be known. Most of the antivirus software, however, can remove the disguised threat. So, you don’t have to worry.
How to detect Lsass.exe virus?
There are, however, different versions of the file that exist as the virus and you will have to look forward to the following details to successfully remove a virus hiding in the name of the lsass.exe errors.
- If you can locate the lsass.exe file in the subfolder of the user profile with a security rating of more than 60% dangerous, it is not one of the files that run on the core of windows. To be more accurate, the size of the file would be 42,713 bytes that will help you with detecting the virus file.
- The next possible location where you can find the lsass.exe files corrupt version is in the subfolder of the C drive, and the security rating is approximately around 60% dangerous. If you identify the same, remove it immediately as the lsass.exe file does not run like that. (551,669 bytes)
- The second variant of the lsass.exe file in the C drive is that it will exist inside the Windows folder and the security rating will be around 80% dangerous (1,591,808 bytes)
- The next possible space is the same C drive with 68% dangerous security rating. (4,606,976 bytes)
- The other variants where you can find the same is also included in the C drive in the temporary files folder which is 82% dangerous (100,000 bytes)
- The other possible location with a high danger security rating of about 90% is in the windows folder or temporary folder. (471,040 bytes)
- The file can also be disguised as a virus in the C drive inside the 32-bit system folder as a drive folder file, and this type of a file has a security rating of about 74%. (32,768 bytes)
How to Fix lsass.exe virus?
The process is more straightforward if you can identify the location of the virus. Within no time, you will be able to develop a quality process to eliminate the virus. Usually, the antivirus software will remove the virus with a scan, but powerful software like that, are not available for free. So, you are always free to use this method.
- Open the scan manager and identify the lsass.exe file and stop their execution by ending their processing in the task manager.
- Once you have stopped their working, you will have to locate the location of the file and delete it.
- When you find the location of the lsass.exe virus, probably, you will also find the cause of the application that got that into your system in the first place. Remove that application as well to avoid any problems.
- Once you are done with that install an antivirus software to make sure that the virus does not occur again in the same location.
Most common lsass.exe Issues and Fix
1. Computer restarting error
The most common problem you will face with the lsass.exe error is the restarting problem with which you will be down with your system continuously rebooting at regular intervals.
All you have to do is;
- Boot the system and run the command window by pressing Win+R.
- Type in shutdown -a and hit enter.
- Once that is done, head to the browser and visit the Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS04-11) and download the necessary files from the site and install them into the computer files.
- Activate the firewall of your browser and run the system files.
- Also having an updated antivirus program will help.
2. High CPU usage
The normal lsass.exe file has a CPU memory usage of nearly less than 10MB. But a look-alike file or the virus file of lsass.exe high usage file will lead to the high CPU usage, and that means it will be using more memory than it is supposed to be using. There might be cases when you will see high CPU usage during times of Windows login, opening a password-protected file or any process which requires lot of encryption.
The lsass.exe file will be taking more of the memory and CPU RAM, and that is precisely when your computer will slow down. When you face such issues, click on the task manager and check out the CPU usage and you can identify the faulty lsass.exe file and remove it. So, make sure to locate the location of the virus and remove the file from the location.
There are a lot of other things that a lsass.exe virus file will do, and within no time your system will be running low, and the details with which you will be working on will come down drastically, and within no time you will be running down with the performance. Always have an active antivirus program and regularly scan your main file folders for such viruses as if this prolongs, it will corrupt the whole of your system.